After HTC published a Windows Mobile 6.1 update for the HTC Kaiser (also known as HTC TyTN II, MDA Vario III and others), some users report several problems in the xda-developers.com forum. Instead of running faster, their devices are even slower and suddenly freeze for about 20 seconds. Furthermore, some applications do not work any longer, there is few internal memory and even some microSD cards stop working correctly.
The German ppc-welt.info forum has similar reports – . While some users are glad to have this update as it solves problems, the majority wants its old version back. There are already manuals how to downgrade to Windows Mobile 6.0 again which does not have these problems.
I wrote a list of problems that occur on one or more devices:
- very slow writing to SD cards
- freezing of the unit for 10 – 20 seconds
- memory decreases (from 61 to 45 MB)
- sometimes no connection to Wireless LAN
- applications that do not work: SPB Backup, TCPMP, QuickGPS, Skype, Card Export, Opera Mini 4 (problems), Microsoft Voice Dialing, IGO 8, TomTom, GPS applications in general
Some of these problems only occur on one device, perhaps because of a wrong configuration done by the user. Nevertheless, if your Kaiser works correctly using Windows Mobile 6.0, it would perhaps be better to wait for other feedback before you run the update.